Transplant Support Groups
Transplantation is unique both medically and emotionally. You might find that you need help sorting through your feelings or simply want to interact with other recipients. There are more than 30 transplant support groups statewide, and they focus on different aspects of transplantation.
Several groups, but not all:
- Transplant Support Group of Northern Michigan, Gaylord: Meets second Thursday every other month; 6 p.m., Professional Medical Building; conference room; 829 North Center Ave,, U.S. 27 N.. Contact: Bev Cherwinski at 989.983.4188, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jackson Transplant Support Group, Jackson: Meets second Saturday every month; 10:30 a.m., Allegiance Health (formerly Foote Hospital), pulmonary rehabilitation center, suite 102. Contact: Cathy McAllister, 517.787.9322, ext. 224.
- Lansing Area Transplant Support Group, Lansing: Meets second Thursday of the month; 7 to 8:30 p.m., Peoples Church, 200 W. Grand River Ave., East Lansing. For more information, contact Jan Hoag, email@example.com, 517-321-2269.
- Friends for Life Support Group, Flint: For everyone involved in the donation and transplantation community. Meets first Tuesday every month; 6 p.m. at Hurley School of Nursing next to Hurley Medical Center. Contact: Connie Ayres, 810.397.7970 or Bill Wolf, 810.423.8970.
- Iron Mountain Transplant Support Group, Iron Mountain: Meets third Tuesday every month; 1 p.m. at 427 South Stephenson Ave., second floor. Contact: Evelyn Juneau, 906.774.7501.
- Escanaba Transplant Support Group, Escanaba: Contact Carol Plouff, 906.786.4358.
- Second Time Around, Grand Rapids: Meets second Monday every month; 6 p.m. at Spectrum Health Medical Group, Cardiovascular Medicine Building, first floor, 2902 Bradford NE, Grand Rapids. Contact: Jacquie Oliai, 616.391.2802.
- Transplant Connection, Royal Oak: Meets third Wednesday of every month; 7-8 p.m. at Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak, Main Hospital South Tower, 3rd floor, classroom 2; 3601 West 13 Mile Road. Contact Sophia Awan for more info: 248.551.1201 or the Beaumont Transplant Clinic at 248.551.1033, option 3.
- Transplant Living Community - Addresses lifestyle issues for waiting and newly transplanted patients and their families at Henry Ford Hospital. The goal of the program is for patients to "Play their ACES - attitude, compliance, exercise and support." For more information, email TLC@hfhs.org. Call 313-916-3612 for program information, community presentations, and volunteer opportunities.
Helpful websites for those on the waiting list and transplant recipients