Facts & Figures
Did you know?
- Each organ donor can save up to eight lives. Each tissue donor can improve the lives of up to 50 people.
- Nearly 10,000 Michigan patients have received a life-saving organ transplant in the last 10 years.
- Cornea transplants have been successful for over 100 years and organ transplants have worked for more than 50.
- On average, 17 Michigan patients receive an organ transplant each week.
- There is no age limit for donation. People in their 90s have been able to donate organs.
- Donation doesn't cost the donor or the donor's family anything.
- In 2011, 269 organ donors provided 792 organs to waiting recipients in Michigan. Organ donors in 2011 and 2010, respectively: 289 and 288.
Michigan residents waiting for organs
In 2012, the generosity of Michigan's 261 organ donors resulted in 779 organs transplanted, saving hundreds of lives. Michigan patients waiting for a transplant as of May 1, 2013.