The Gift of Life
Because hospice patients are not a ventilator at the time of death, they are not eligible to be organ donors. However, the gifts of tissue and corneas – which may be possible from a hospice patient – can improve the lives of up to 75 people.
Making a referral
To preserve the potential for donation, call Gift of Life Michigan at (800) 482-4882 within 1 hour of the patient’s cardiac time of death or if the family mentions donation.
Information that we may request includes:
- Caller name and company
- Patient’s name and location (address, phone number, etc.)
- Date-of-birth, sex, race
- Cardiac time of death or time when last seen alive
Patient's Medical History
- Height and weight
- All diagnoses, cause of death, past medical history
- White blood cell counts, temps, any fluids given
- Physical assessment, e.g., trauma, infection, open sores, etc.
- Legal next of kin. Has the family mentioned donation?
- Contacts, phone number
- Healthcare directive
- Funeral home info
- Medical examiner involvement